bluecurve
About the GSA Site Map Contact Us Disclaimer Home
logobottom
imagecurve1
imagecurve1
imagecurve1

Biographies

Ilmars (Bill) GEMUTS

1939 - 2003

Ilmars Gemuts, a foremost field geologist of Australia and the Americas, died in Putnam County, New York on 25 April 2003. He will be remembered with affection by those who worked with him and knew him as a uniquely-skilled geologist, keen on debate, and a great human being.

Born in Latvia in 1939, Ilmars came to Australia in 1949 with his parents and sister Ilona, after fleeing to germany from Russian occupation. His alternative name 'Bill' arose at high school and achived wide use, but did not overcome his Baltic origins. He became an Australian citizen in 1956. Progressing from Richmond High School to Sydney University, he completed his BSc (Hons) in 1961 then moved to Western Australia to join the Geological Survey.

Recently expanded under the leadership of the late Joe Lord, the Geological Survey was lively in geological effort, debate and comradeship arising from an influx of interstate/overseas geologists of whom the late Rudi Horwitz, in particular, gave guidance to younger arrivals. Working in the Regional Mapping Section, Ilmars was assigned to geological mapping in the East Kimberley for three successive (six-month) field sessions with joint GSWA/BMR parties. In this busy time, Ilmars co-authored several Explanatory Notes of map sheets and a Bulletin, completed an MSc thesis on the Lamboo Complex, and married Liga Murins in January 1964.

Joinung Anaconda Australia Inc in 1965 at the time of the nickel boom, Ilmars undertook exploration programmes over a wide area of Australia, in the company's serach for the "big one". Initially he worked from Bega and Molong in New South Wales and Ravenswood in Queensland, later transferring to Coolgardie the Kalgoorlie in Western Australia, where he spent the next ten years exploring for nickel and gold in the Eastern Goldfields.

Ilmars made significant contributions to the understanding of Archaean geology and mineralisation in the greenstone belts during the late sixties and seventies at which time there was a revolution in the understanding of these rocks, and their stratigraphy. He was instrumental in, or contributed to, the discovery of several nickel sulphide deposits such as Miriam near Coolgardie, and Six Mile Well and Mt Goode near Yakabindie.

Ilmars and Liga raised their two children, Gita and Aina, while based in Kalgoorlie. Their home was a scene of hospitality and geological discussion enjoyed by numerous colleagues participating in the nickel "boom". Ilmars had great empathy and friendship with prospectors as well as professionals. He became one of the most respected field geologists in Western Australia.

In the 1970s Ilmars directed Anaconda's Mt Isa exploration project, contributed to the delineation of the Kidson Gold Project, and became Exploration Manager. He transferred to Alaska in 1980 to manage Anaconda Copper Company's CIRI Project, comprising exploration/research over a large area of the country (employing 150 geologists and 6 helicopters). Later, he headed the company's research division in Denver, Colorado.

Becoming a founding partner of the consulting firm, Annapurna Exploration, in 1985, Ilmars based himself and family in Colorado from where he took geological assignments in North America, Australia, China, Latin America, Philippines, India and Scandinavia. From 1994, he carried out geological consultancy as Gemuts Exploration. Much of his recent yeras were spent in the South American Andes, principally Argentina, exploring for epithermal gold and copper deposits. He and his team discovered a new gold district in Patagonia. After 8000m of drilling the project ws sold to a major minig company, and the team was disbanded.

Publications by Gemuts include BMR Bulletins on the East Kimberley Region, and papers on geoogy/mineralisation/exploration in the south-eastern goldfields (W.A.), Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, and Western Laska. His MSc thesis concerned metamorphism and igneous activity of the Lamboo Complex, East Kimberley Region, Westren Australia.

During his two and a half year battle with ilness, Ilmars made geological field trips to Scandinavia, Spain and Australia - in one instance, with Liga as field assistant. His recent visits to Australia rekindled friendships and gave colleagues a welcome opportunity to re-acquaint.

Ilmars and his family kept strong ties with Latvia, complimenting their Australian citizenship and US residency. The Gemuts family has established the "Ilmars Gemuts Memorial Scholarship Fund" to help geology students in Latvia. Any contributions would be welcome (50 Hillside Trail, Mahopac, NY 10541 USA).

Many geologists and others in the mineral industry have been colleagues of Ilmars, and appreciated his intensity of geological thought, practice, and life-approach. To his wife Liga, his daughters, grandchildren, and family: our sympathy at his passing. Ilmars Gemuts was gifted in understanding rocks, was unique in character, and held in high esteem by friends and professional associates.

ROGER PASSMORE
TAG #128, September 2003

Return to the Obituaries page

Brian GLENISTER

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Brian F. Glenister graduated with a B. Sc. Physics/Math double major in 1949. However, Professor Clarke's Introductory Geology course persuaded him to return the following year to complete the Geology major. Interest in ammonoids then directed him to the M. Sc. degree with Curt Teichert at Melbourne. Following a brief faculty tenure at U.W.A., a Fulbright Scholarship took him to the Geology Department at The University of Iowa, Iowa City U.S.A., where he earned his Ph. D. He returned to the Perth faculty in 1956, but ammonoid research facilities at Iowa attracted him back in 1959 to a permanent appointment as the A. K. Miller Name Chair. His research commitment continues to the present, despite retirement from teaching in 1997. His focus is on biostratigraphy, especially ammonoids and conodonts and the Permian System.

Return to the Foundation Members page

Joseph John GLOVER

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Joseph John Edmund Glover (generally known as John Glover) was born on 14 July 1924 at Mt Barker, Western Australia, and his primary education took place under the State Correspondence Scheme on his parent’s farm. He was awarded a scholarship to Perth Modern School, from which he went to The University of Western Australia (UWA). In 1943 he left UWA to join RAAF air-crew, being discharged in 1945 as flight sergeant. He returned to UWA, gained first class honours in geology, and joined the Bureau of Mineral Resources (BMR) in 1949. He then won a Fulbright Scholarship to the University of California, and returned to the BMR with a PhD in geology. In 1953 he joined the private company Associated Australian Oilfields as a geologist, and in 1955 joined UWA as lecturer in Geology. He became Head of Department from 1985-1988, and in 1990 was appointed Senior Honorary Research Fellow, a position that he still occupies. He was awarded the Chancellor’s Medal, and a room was named after him.
Glover was Chairman of the Western Australian Division of the GSA in 1968-69 and wrote a book for the Division’s 50th Anniversary in 2003 (Geological Journeys: from Artifacts to Zircon). He was Honorary Editor of the Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia from 1958-1963 and of the Journal of the Geological Society of Australia from 1970-1973. He edited numerous symposium volumes, and wrote columns in many copies of the geological newsletter Western Australian Geologist from July 1996 to the end of 2001, and then from 2003-2009. He produced with Jenny Bevan the 2010 book The Forgotten Explorers, which traces the careers and contributions of practically all of the geologists operating in the first century of European settlement in Western Australia. Glover was also an active member of the Gemmological Association of Australia, being President of the Western Australian Branch for a year.
Glover’s research interests at UWA were mainly in sedimentary petrology and geoarcheology with particular application to the distribution of Aboriginal artifacts. He showed petrologically that many of the artifacts on the Swan Coastal Plain came from Precambrian source rocks east of the Darling Scarp and Fault, whereas some came from the west, from sources now buried by eastern waters of the Indian Ocean. The research indicated that Aborigines occupied large areas to the west of the present coastline during the glaciation that reached its peak around 18,000 BP, when sea was over a hundred metres lower than at present. Considerable information about Aboriginal movements came to light, and various published themes were developed from 1971-1993, at a time when interdisciplinary work of this kind was only slowly becoming fashionable. These research results support Aboriginal myths to the effect that Rottnest and other islands were formerly joined to the mainland.
Glover made 70 contributions to the published geological literature, as distinguished from published letters to Editors and monthly geological columns, and they are listed on his archival file at UWA.

John Charles GROVER

25 November 1920–21 September 2008
John Grover had a major impact on many people in the Solomons Islands. As the founding Director of the Geological Survey of the Solomon Islands between 1950 and 1967, he pioneered the first systematic geological mapping of the Solomon Islands, including three marine surveys of gravity, magnetics and bathymetry. The high degree of technical expertise,enthusiasm and professionalism of today's Geological Survey in the Ministry of Mines Energy and Rural Electrification has its roots in those early years under his leadership. His vision was for all the islands of the Solomons to be geologically mapped, and his efforts have been recognised by a number of prestigious awards and citations. John Charles Grover was born in Sydney on 25 November 1920, the oldest of three children of Henry Chaplyn Grover and his wife, Esther Mabel. In 1852, at the age of 18, his grandfather had come to Australia from England by sailing ship. His father had fought in the Boer War. John Grover served with distinction, as Lieutenant and then Captain, in the Australian Army in both the Middle East and in New Guinea in the Second World War. Towards the end of the final Aitape–Wewak campaign in New Guinea, he sat — in a tent — for his matriculation into the University of Sydney. He entered the latter in 1946 and graduated with First Class Honours in Engineering (Mining and Metallurgy) in 1949. During this time he had attended lectures, and passed the examinations in a number of geological courses additional to the normal requirements of the engineering degree, and so qualified as one well-trained as both geologist and mining engineer. In a brief period during that final year he had been involved in sampling Gold Ridge and, stemming partly from that, and just as he was about to complete his final year, he was offered the position of Senior Geologist in the British Solomon Islands Protectorate. He accepted the position and spent the next 17½ years in dedicated service to the Solomons and its people. From the beginning, John showed great enterprise in obtaining for the Solomons Survey the interest and help of many "outside" people and organisations. By the end of 1950 he had arranged for a small group from the University of Sydney — P J Coleman, F K Rickwood and R L Stanton — to assist with early geological mapping and aerial photograph interpretation. Subsequently, he had experts from many parts of the world, including the United Nations Development Programme, visiting and carrying out projects of relevance to the Survey's operations. He built the Geological Survey as a wonderful team — well-trained, efficient, and enormously loyal to their leader. In 1963, he was appointed an Officer in the Order of the British Empire,
an honour recognising his service and dedication to the Solomon Islands and its people. Almost 40 years later he was again honoured for his work in the Solomons, when an Australian, CSIRO-led oceanographic research expedition named a newly discovered underwater volcano after him — the Seamount Grover. His geological maps are now in the National Library in Canberra, and continue to be a primary source for geologists working in the Solomons. In 1959, John married Caroline Sandon, who had come from
England to join him, and they had three children, two of whom were born in Honiara. In 1967, they departed the Solomon Islands so that John could spend about a year as Head of the Geological Survey of Fiji. From there they moved to Sydney. In 1975, he was invited to head the United Nations Geological Survey project in Ethiopia, and in 1977 he returned to Sydney where he became Coordinator of Special Projects for the major mining firm of Peko-Wallsend. He retired in 1982, and began a new life writing books and involving himself in public speaking on a variety of technical and socio-political topics — a role for which he was soon in high demand. John Grover was an able, energetic, enthusiastic, adventurous, and colourful character, and he achieved much. In his adventurous life, he enjoyed the wonderful support of his wife Caroline, of whom it has been said that she could write a book of her own on her life with a man who accepted every challenge. He died in Sydney on the 21 September 2008, leaving Caroline, their three children Felicity, Charles and Stephanie, four grandchildren, and many old friends.
TIMOTHY F MCCONACHY and RICHARD L STANTON AO, 21 July 2009
TAG #152, September 2009

Return to Obituaries page

Professor David GROVES

Honorary Member of the Geological Society of Australia
Fellow of the Geological Society of Australia

Born in Brighton, England in 1942, David Groves was educated at Varndean Grammar School before emigrating to Tasmania and attending Hobart High School. He gained a First Class BSc Honours from the University of Tasmania in 1963 and a PhD from that university in 1968. He spent the remainder of his time in Hobart employed with the Geological Survey of Tasmania.

David joined the University of Western Australia (UWA) in 1971 as a lecturer in economic geology. During his early years at UWA, he taught economic geology, ore genesis, structural geology and field mapping at all undergraduate levels. His research was mainly on Archaean evolution and the origin of komatiite-associated nickel deposits. David progressed from Lecturer to Associate Professor, and by 1987 was a Professor (Personal Chair) and Director of the Key Centre for Strategic Mineral Deposits. His main research interests evolved to the genesis of gold deposits and the use of GIS in conceptual exploration targeting. David remained as Director of the Centres for Strategic Mineral Deposits and its successor, the Centre for Global Metallogeny, until his early retirement in 2005 to facilitate the generation of a new centre, the Centre for Exploration Targeting, at UWA. In the last few years at UWA, his interests were global metallogeny, the influence of lithosphere on the temporal and spatial distribution of mineral deposits, and conceptual exploration. In 2006, he became Emeritus Professor at UWA and industry consultant.

Throughout has academic career, David authored or co-authored over 300 published papers and supervised over 85 PhD, 35 MSc and 120 BSc Honours students. His major contribution has been to mentor young geologists who have gone on to very successful careers in industry or academia.

During his career, David has been both President of the Geological Society of Australia and its WA Division and President of the Society of Economic Geologists, and is now President of SGA (the European Society of Economic Geologists). He has also served on a number of national and international committees. Honours received include the Stillwell Award of the Geological Society of Australia (GSA), the Clarke Medal of the Royal Society of New South Wales, the inaugural Gibb-Maitland Award of the W.A. Division of GSWA, the Silver Medal of the Society of Economic Geologists, the Geological Association of Canada Medal, the Jubilee Medal of the Geological Society of South Africa, the Goldfields Medal, and the Kelvin Medal of the Royal Society of Western Australia. David became a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2005. He also became a Fellow and an Honorary Member of the Geological Society of Australia in 2008.

Return to the Honorary Members page
Return to the Fellows page

Gordon HALE

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

1921 - 2004

Gordon Hale died on 18th August, 2004 in Hobart. He was a Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia and of the Tasmania Division. Subsequently he occupied executive positions in the Division and, on two occasions, was Federal Treasurer of the Society. Professionally he was an engineering geologist with the Tasmanian Hydro-Electric Commission for almost 30 years, but also gave his time and skills to several "learned" societies and veterans societies in executive capacities.

Gordon was born on 19th June, 1921 in Hobart. In 1937, while still attending Hobart High School, he joined the Citizen Military Forces in which he attained the rank of Sergeant early in 1940 soon after leaving school. He joined the A.I.F. in December 1941, was sent to Singapore, fought in the battle for the island as a member of the 2/29th Battalion which surrendered with the Allied forces in February, 1942. While a P.O.W. in Changi for the next three years and eight months, he was part of a wood cutting gang. He also joined other P.O.W.s in courses of study, a result of which was that he won a British-sponsored scholarship which helped him to fund later University studies.

Gordon was discharged from the Army late in 1945, and enrolled in the Engineering course at the University of Tasmania in 1946 under the Commonwealth Reconstruction and Training Scheme. A switch in interest resulted in an enrolment in Science in 1947 with Geology as one of his choices. Under the influence of the late Professor Carey he developed an enduring interest in the subject. Gordon completed his geology course with first class Honours late in 1951. His Honours project was largely mapping of the Dover area in southern Tasmania, and study of clay deposits there.

After graduation came a short spell as demonstrator in Geology at the University before appointment as the first Curator in Geology at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery. In this position his main responsibility was the development of displays in a new Geology Gallery. Under an exchange of staff arrangement with the Geology Department, he also worked as part-time Lecturer in mineralogy and geological mapping to University students, for whom he made these topics interesting.

Several years later, the Hydro-Electric Commission of Tasmania decided to appoint their first engineering geologist; Gordon applied for the position and was appointed in 1956. Over the next 26 years, he carried out and supervised many investigations of sites of major power developments for the Commission as well as providing engineering geology advice to other bodies within the State and in Thailand and Norway. Study of risks from earthquakes to major engineering works was the subject of a study tour he made in Europe, North America and east Asia in 1969. He was widely respected inside the Commission as well as in the wider community. His geological staff noted that he knew how to talk to engineers and found him a relaxed leader with common sense and an almost intuitive grasp of geological situations.

In 1952, meetings were held in Hobart to discuss the formation of a Geological Society of Australia and a Tasmania Division thereof. Gordon was present at these meetings. Later he was Chairman of the Division on two occasions, Vice-Chairman on several others, and Secretary for a short period. Tasmania was the Executive Division in 1965-67 and in 1977/78 with Gordon Hale as Federal Treasurer in both occasions. He served on several Standing Committees, including Geological Training and the Tectonic Map Committees; he was a member of the Editorial Committee for the 1962 "Geology of Tasmania", published by the Society and contributed most of the chapter on the Triassic System to that volume.

"Learned societies" e.g. the Royal Society of Tasmania, and veterans groups also gained from the knowledge and skills of Gordon Hale. He was, for example, Honorary Treasurer of the Royal Society for 24 years, Vice-Chairman (senior elected officer) for two years and elected to Honorary Life Membership in 1979.

After his retirement, Gordon had more time to devote to hobbies wuch as fishing, gardening, wood carving and golf, In his younger days rowing and rugby football had claimed his attention.

The Geological Society, and more particularly the Tasmania Division, is indebted to Gordon Hale for his sterling service and many contributions in executive positions. In these, he was effective, did much and seemed relaxed in doing it.

MAX BANKS
TAG #132, September 2004

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to the Obituaries page

Maurice Noel HIERN

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

B.Sc., Grad. Dip. T. P., MAusIMM.
Born 25 February 1931. Glenelg SA

Noel has served the minerals industry in South Australia for over 50 years since graduating with a B.Sc. degree majoring in geology from the University of Adelaide.

He considers himself fortunate to have been among a small group of Year 10 students at the Kadina Memorial High School who were offered Geology as an alternative subject to French.

After twelve months as a draftsman in the new Photogrammetric Section of the SA Department of Lands, he was also fortunate to be appointed in 1952 as Assistant Geologist to the late Ken Glasson at the Radium Hill uranium mine, operated by the South Australian Government.

Here, among the many things he learned under Ken's practical guidance, was the need for every geologist to think in three dimensions.

After four years of underground experience, he and wife Phyl (nee Pain) transferred to the Geological Survey Branch of the then Department of Mines in Adelaide where Noel worked on uranium exploration, damsite investigations and surveys of non-metallic and construction materials deposits throughout South Australia.

In 1962, he established a regional office of the Survey at Port Pirie, from where he conducted ballast materials surveys for the Transcontinental railway across the Nullarbor and the Broken Hill- Pt Pirie Standard Gauge railway, groundwater bore site selection in the mid north region and the first systematic geological survey of the Coober Pedy opalfield, including underground mapping of the Nine Mile (Larkin's Folly) workings. This led to recognition that precious opal is related to the formation of the Tertiary bleached lateritic profile and the trapping of downward moving silica rich groundwater at aquacludes and solution cavities in the weathered pre-Tertiary sedimentary sequence.

On his return to Adelaide to the Non Metallic Minerals Section of the Survey, Noel became involved in the conflicting landuse issues between urban development and the supply of construction materials from within these areas. This led to completion of a Graduate Diploma in Town and Country Planning at the SA Institute of Technology in 1976. His dissertation for this degree was an analysis of the mining. planning and environmental legislation of the Australian States (he said he wanted to produce something useful) and the remedies proposed in this research, to remedy the then time-consuming and frustrating process of having to obtain both a planning consent and a mining tenement to quarry construction materials, became the basis of the one application-one approval process was later adopted by the South Australian Government in the new South Australian Planning Act of 1982.

In the late 1970s, in response to increasing public concern for the environmental consequences of exploration and mining, Noel led a small group within the Department in pioneering procedures under the Mining Act for the assessment of new mining proposals. Many of these resulted in amendments to improve the capacity of the Act to achieve its environmental objectives. He also made sure that officers in other Departments, involved in the approval process, obtained a practical understanding of exploration and mining operations and the capacity of the industry to manage the impacts of these operations.

Noel resigned from his position of Chief Geologist, Registration and Resource Management Branch of the Department in 1988 to take up the position of Director of the South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy from where he retired in 1996.

In the mid 1980s Noel was invited to write a syllabus for an environmental management subject in the Mining Engineering degree course at the University of South Australia which he then taught until the course was terminated in 2005.

Noel has been a member of the Geological Heritage (formerly Geological Monuments) Sub-committee of the Adelaide Division of the GSA for many years and played a major role in the recently completed joint project with Primary Industries Resources South Australia to produce an interactive DVD of Parts 1-9 of Geological Monuments in South Australia.

Many of Noel's geological reports are published in the SA Department of Mines Mining Review series and he was a major contributor to the 1976 Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Industrial Minerals and Rocks volume of the Economic Geology of Australia and Papua New Guinea monograph. He has presented papers to national conferences and written submissions to major State and Federal Government inquiries on native title issues and environmental management of exploration and mining.

Working in the pastoral lands of South Australia, where his father and grandfather lived as station managers, was a particularly enjoyable part of Noel's life.

Return to the Foundation Members page

Edwin Sherbon Hills

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Career highlights
Hills made significant contributions to the Geological Society of Australia. Beginning in November 1951, he
was Chairman of the Provisional Committee that established the Society, and was a major force behind drafting
the Society's initial Constitution. Hills continued to have a significant role behind the foundation of the Society
and became its first Federal President in June 1953, holding the post until 1955. Accordingly to Jack Douglas, he
was also "nominally Divisional Secretary" at the foundation of the Victoria Division in 1953.
Edwin Sherbon Hills was born in 31 August 1906 in Carlton, Victoria, and died on 2 May 1986 in Melbourne.
He was Lecturer in Geology from 1932 to 1944, Professor of Geology and Mineralogy from 1944 to 1962,
Research Professor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor from 1962to 1971, at the University of Melbourne. His interests
were wide-ranging and included fossil fishes, geomorphology, mineralogy and petrology, structural geology,
tectonics and morphotectonics, and economic geology.
Career Highlights
1928 Bachelor of Science (BSc) completed at the University of Melbourne
1929 Master of Science (MSc) completed at the University of Melbourne
1929 Demonstrator in Geology at the University of Melbourne
1931 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) completed at the Imperial College of Science and Technology,
University of London
1932–1938 Lecturer in Geology at the University of Melbourne
1938 Doctor of Science (DSc) received from the University of Melbourne
1938–1942 Acting Senior Lecturer (to 1940) then Senior Lecturer in Geology at the University of
Melbourne
1939 David Syme Research Prize received from the University of Melbourne
1942 Wollaston Fund Award received from the Geological Society of London
1942–1943 Associate Professor of Geology at the University of Melbourne
1943 Geologist at the North Australia Observer Unit, Directorate of Army Research
1944–1971 Professor of Geology and Mineralogy at the University of Melbourne
1947 President of Section P (Geography) of the Australian and New Zealand Association for the
Advancement of Science
1947–1948 Dean of Science at the University of Melbourne
1947–1956 Chairman of Editorial Committee of the Royal Society of Victoria
1951 Bigsby Medal received from the Geological Society of London
1952–1955 Chairman of the Interim Council and then Foundation President of the Geological
Society of Australia
1954– Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
1954– Foundation Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA)
1955–1956 President of the Royal Society of Victoria
1957–1972 Convenor, Tectonic Map of Australia Standing Committee
1959–1962 Chairman of the Professorial Board and Pro-Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne
1955–1968 Chairman of the Australian Academy of Science National Committee on Hydrology
1962–1968 Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National Museum of Victoria
1962–1971 Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne
1964–1971 Research Professor of Geology, University of Melbourne
1967 Honorary Fellow of the Geological Society of London
1968 Lomonosov Medal received from the University of Moscow
1970–1978 Chairman of the Australian Academy of Science National Committee for Quaternary Research
1971 Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
1972– Professor Emeritus, University of Melbourne
1972 Compiler of Tectonic Map of Australia (1972 Ed.)
1977–1978 Chairman of the Commission on the Teaching of Geology, International Union of
Geological Sciences
1979 W.R. Browne Medal received from the Geological Society of Australia
1985 Member of the Royal Society of Sciences of Uppsala

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to the ES Hills Medal page

Bruce HOBBS

Bruce Edward Hobbs was born in 1936 in Sydney and studied for a BSc (1959) and a PhD (1962) at The University of Sydney
specialising in Structural Geology. He is presently an Adjunct Professor at the University of Western Australia and a Research
Fellow at CSIRO. 

He was formerly Chief Scientist of Western Australia and Executive Officer of the Office of Science and Innovation at the
Department of the Premier and Cabinet. Previously, he held many academic positions including Research Fellow at ANU,
Foundation Professor of Earth Sciences at Monash University, Visiting Professor at the University of California (1980),
Visiting Professor at Brown University in Providence, USA (1978), Professor of Structural Geology at the State University
of New York (1971), Research Geophysicist at UCLA, Los Angeles, and Geology Lecturer at the University of Sydney.
Bruce Hobbs left academia in 1984 to join the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation)
as Chief Research Scientist in the Division of Geomechanics, Melbourne and became Chief of that division in 1986; he
became Chief of CSIRO Exploration and Mining in 1992. In February 2000, he was appointed Deputy Chief Executive
of Minerals and Energy, CSIRO. In the past decade Bruce Hobbs has worked on developing computer applications that
simulate mechanical behaviour, fluid flow, heat flow and chemical reactions governing ore body formation. The goal is
to produce a modelling capability that enhances our ability to discover new ore bodies and to understand the mechanics
that govern the evolution of the Earth’s lithosphere. In recent years that work has been placed on a foundation within
non-equilibrium thermodynamics and nonlinear dynamics. In recognition of his work, he has received numerous prizes
and awards including the John Jaeger Medal for Science (2001), Senior Fulbright Award (1979), United States Antarctic
Research Program Medal (1970), and Junior Fulbright Award (1966). He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy
of Science in 1991 and fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering in 2004. In 2009 he
was awarded the Order of Australia for contributions to Structural Geology and for the development of large research
facilities around Australia. He is a Fellow of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy and of the Geological
Society of Australia and is a member of the American Geophysical Union. He has published over 160 scientific papers
in international journals and is the coauthor of three books on structural geology and fluid flow in the crust of the Earth

Lindsay INGALL

1927 - 1999

Lindsay Ingall passed away at his home in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales on 21 May 1999 whilst working on AIG matters as he had done for 20 years. Lindsay was well known to hundreds of members of the AIG and Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (ASEG) and this news has saddened all. He was an excellent gescientist but he was also a remarkably gregarious and friendly person as this obituary attests.

Lindsay graduated with a BSc in Geology and Physics from Sydney University in 1947 and commenced his professional career carrying out geophysical surveys for the Zinc Corporation around Broken Hill. In 1949 he joined the Bureau of Mineral Resources (now ASGO) to be part of the pathfinding exploration of the sub-Antarctic including 12 months on Heard Island. He next moved to Canada and conducted geophysical surveys in most Provinces including the Canadian Arctic areas.

In 1962 Lindsay returned to Australia and established the Wongela Geophysical company specialising in gravity surveys for oil, coal, oil shale and base metals. It was Lindsay's gravity surveys and interpretations that delineated the Stuart Oil Shale deposit in Central Queensland. Wongela and its associated helicopter company flew a large proportion of of the BMR's airborne gravity survey of Australia between 1963 and 1974. Between 1977 and 1980, Lindsay and the Wongela Geophysical company also carried out surveys in Thailand, South Korea and Sri Lanka as part of overseas aid programs.

Lindsay always volunteered to help others. He helped found the ASEG in 1970, and was President in 1971/72 and 1978/79. During this time, he worked with others from several institutions to establish the AIG as the professional institute representing geoscientists from all fields of practice. Lindsay was one of the AIG founding councillors in 1981, AIG President in 1989/90, long-term Honorary Treasurer and Chairman of the membership Committee. In 1988, Lindsay was made an Honorary Member of the ASEG and recently received a citation for the ASEG Service Medal for extraordinary services over many years.

Most of us will remember his personal characteristics just as much as his many formal achievements. He was a larrikin at heart and his credo was "always keep your sense of humour". He and his three sons never forgot the sayings they leart from French-speaking Canadians and "c'est le vie, c'est si bon" was part of Lindsay was urging "Keep it simple" before it became a trendy mantra and he would never be derogatory in his dealings with others.

But in the world of conversation, Lindsay was legendary. At Lindsay's funeral, there was a knowing chuckle when Lindsay's neighbour spoke warmly of impromptu barbecues at Lindsay's place where anyone, even total strangers who dropped by, stayed for hours. Lindsay loved people - all of them. He would always make conversation with anyone he dealt with on the phone or in person. He used nicknames for people and his cheerful banter made a telephone call from Lindsay a positive experience, as exemplified below:
Lindsay: "Hello, is that Heavenly Hirani Tiger Lily?"
Response: "Yes it is and that must be Luscious, Lascivious Lindsay"

Lindsay's wife Pam explained that working on AIG business had been a core part of Lindsay's life. Pam was a great help to Lindsay and she did much of the work for Lindsay since his health deteriorated three years ago. In the hour or so before Lindsay's sudden death from heart failure, he spoke to several of us and to an old colleague whom he had not spoken to for years. Lindsay explained how good life was and how he kept in contact with people he really cared for via his role as Councillor and Chairman of the membership Committee. While resting prior to going shopping, Lindsay passed away with his old dog at his side. Lindsay died doing what he loved - c'est la vie.

We will miss Lindsay greatly but we will always be thankful that we had the privilege to know this fully professional but very personable geoscientist. Vale Lindsay.

IAN LEVY & MIKE SMITH, Past Presidents AIG
TAG #112, September 1999

Return to the Obituaries page

 

Michael JOUSE

1927 - 1999

Michael Jouse was one of the unfortunate four victims of the North Parkes mine disaster in November 1999. It cut short a career already well established but still full of immense promise. News items about the disaster listed Michael as a mining engineer, so that many members of the GSA might not have been aware that he was a geologist who had moved into the specialist area of geomechanics.

Michael graduated with First Class honours from the Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Sydney after completing his thesis (1988) on a mapping project in a complex and very rough area east of the Jenolan Caves. Awarded Earth Resources Foundation Scholarachips and the Sheila Awain Field Mapping Prize during his undergarduate days, on completion of his Honours Year Michael was offered a Deas Thomson Scholarship to continue in post-graduate studies. However, his heart was set on the larger world and also on a fellow Honours graduate Jusith Taylor and they were married shortly after graduation.

Michael became a graduate trainee with RGC, spending six months each year in Pine Creek, AMC Perth and the Canberra Exploration office before moving to Mt Lyell, Tasmania where the family spent two and a half years completing the training program.

When the position at Parkes was advertised a graduate with 10 years experience was asked for. Despite only having five years, Michael applied and was appointed. As his wife points out: "it was a fast learning curve about block caving." However, Michael was more than equal to the task, at the time of his death being regarded as the Australian expert and he had a growing international reputation. At the time of his untimely death he was Technical Services Team leader for the compnay.

Fellow students, former staff and other geological colleagues join in offering condolences to Judith and their children Timothy, Simon and Rebekah at their sad loss, and offer sympathy and support to Michael's mine colleagues in coping with the aftermath of the disaster.

DAVID BRANAGAN
TAG #114, March 2000

Return to the Obituaries page

Ed JAMES

It is with a sad heart that I notify the forum on the passing of Mr. Ed James, whom many in the north Queensland mining and exploration industry will remember with tears in our eyes of his remembrance.

I met Ed while a time with Amoco Exploration in NQ just prior to the Red Dine opening. At that time we were investigating possible deep lead tin in Camel Creek area - in the kangaroo hills sedimentary formations. Ed was the company prospector and I the young geo. Ed bacame a friend of my family in Cairns.

He continued his contribution to the north Queensland mining and exploration industry by opening a (very successful vermiculite) (expanded muscovite) mine near Herberton. His product was being used by Saudi construction industry to make light weight building material. Which alas led to his being investigated by Australian anti-terrorist police.

Other material on his computer led to Ed being sentenced to spend some time in Lotus Glen prison. He died in custody.

BOB BREINL
TAG #132, September 2004

Return to the Obituaries page

Keith Robert JOHNS

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Born at Port Pirie 24 April 1927; educated at Crystal Brook West, Port Pirie District and Adelaide High Schools; graduated BSc (Honours) at Adelaide University 1947 – MSc conferred 1960.

During the period February 1948 to September 1972, attached to the Geological Survey of South Australia (being, successively, Assistant Geologist, Resident Geologist Leigh Creek Coal Field, Senior Geologist and Supervising Geologist) engaged in regional mapping and in exploration for and appraisal of a variety of the State's mineral resources – before appointed Deputy Director of Mines and Deputy Government Geologist in December 1973: and Director General of the Department of Mines and Energy in June 1983, until retirement 24 April 1992.

Regional geological mapping undertaken on Eyre Peninsula, in the Flinders, Willoucan, Mount Lofty Ranges, and the Stuart Shelf was published in the Geological Atlas of South Australia. Results and reports on delineation of coal resources and other commodities were published in Departmental publications, "Mining Review", Bulletins of the Geological Survey, and in "Reports of Investigations". Aspects of mineral occurrence were also compiled for inclusion in national compendiums (notably AusIMM Monographs 5 (1975); 6 (1975); 8 (1976); and 17 (1990)). Under aegis of the Government Geologists' Conference, the History and Role of Government Geological Surveys in Australia was edited for publication (1976). Opal in South Australia was published in Transactions of the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, London (1982). Cornish Mining Heritage appeared as SADME Special Publication 6 (1986). Mineral Resources of the Adelaide Geosyncline was compiled as SADME Special Publication 9 (1988). Mineral Exploration and development in South Australia, 1836-1991 was published in Mineral Industry Quarterly (1991).

One had the good fortune to have visited major mineral development projects in other states and in the Northern Territory; and to have travelled overseas in 1964 to study the occurrence, exploration for and development of phosphate, evaporites, brines and sulphur in South America, UK, Europe and Israel; in 1976 to study aspects of development and management of energy resources in the UK, Europe and North America; and in 1980 with regard to energy resource development and management, particularly with regard to uranium in Canada, UK, Europe, Israel and Japan.

In retirement one has continued to publish papers relating to historical aspects of mineral development as follows:

Sir Henry Ayers, First President of the Institute and the Burra Burra mines. AusIMM Centenary Conference (1993).
The training of a geologist in the mid nineteen forties. Geoscience at the University of Adelaide: 1875-2000 (2000).
Development of the South Australian mineral industry: 1901-2001. MESA Journal (2001)
Recognition of mining heritage in South Australia. AusIMM Bulletin (2002).
Uranium in South Australia- politics and reality. AMHA Journal (2005).
The Cornish at Burra. AMHA Journal (2006).

I am a foundation member of the Geological Society of Australia and served a term as a member of the Committee of the South Australian Division. I have attempted to inject some light relief by contributing to TAG "Know your Geologist" and to the Earth Science History Group Newsletter (1988, 1992, 1996, 2002).

Return to the Foundation Members page

William JOHNSON

1920 - 1999

The sudden death on June 26 of William (Bill) Johnson, from a stroke, shocked and saddened his family and his many friends and colleagues. He is survived by his wife Pat, six children, 12 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Bill was born in Claremont, Western Australia, in 1920. His parents were both schoolteachers and at the age of 12 he gained an open scholarship to the then highly selective Perth Modern School. In 1937 he matriculated to the University of Western Australia, winning the Mathematics Exhibition. He was converted to geology as a major during his first year and graduated with Honours in 1941 under the supservision of the legendary Curt Teichert.

In 1942 he joined the wartime Royal Australia Navy and was among the first in that service to complete an intensive course as a radar technician. Between 1943 and 1946 he served on minesweepers in the Pacific and on the cruiser HMAS Australia in the northern hemisphere.

He and Pat Sullivan were married in Sydney in 1945 and celebrated their golden wedding four years ago.

Bill's professional career began in 1946 with the Geological Survey of Western Australia as a member of a party led by R.A. Hobson, which carried out a reconnaissance survey of some 50,000 square kilometres from Yalgoo to the Gascoyne River, evaluating a number of mineral deposits in the process. Later, with Jack Gleason and Laurie de la Hunty, he published GSWA Bulletin 128, which dealt with the Permian geology of the Irwin River and Eradu districts, and was the first comprehensive account of the regional stratigraphy of an area within the Perth Basin.

In 1950 he took up a position as Geologist-in-Charge with the Sydney Metropolitan, Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board and was site geologist at Warragamba Dam during its construction. Between 1955 and 1961 he worked with the Mines Department of South Australia, mainly in the fields of hydrogeology and fuels, most notably in the oil exploration drilling at Innamincka and ultimately became the first head of that Department's new division of non-ferrous metal exploration.

In 1963, in partnership with Brian Fitzpatrick, he set up as a private consultant, and in 1967 formed William Johnson and Associates, establishing an office in Perth in May 1968. This consultancy expanded rapidly, initially in conjunction with the nickel boom, and by 1970 employed 24 geologists and 40 supporting staff. By this time Bill occupied purely a management role and the firm's exploration activities had expanded into a wide range of activities including, in addition to nickel, iron ores, copper, gold and oil. He was also director of several new exploration companies, including Day Dawn Minerals. It was a Day Dawn geologist, Phillipe Kuehn, who first recorded the gold-bearing gossans in the Paterson Range, a discovery that led to the exploitation at Telfer of one of Australia's largest gold deposits. He also established, in partnership with John Keay and Murray Chapman, a chemical laboratory, which grew into Analabs, one of the world's largest analytical groups. Following the sharp decline in metals exploration towards the end of the 1970s Bill returned to private consultancy until his retirement in 1984.

Bill and Pat Johnson had stroing social consciences and wee closely associated for many years with the Australian Labor Party, which awarded them both Outstanding Services Awards in 1995. He stood unsuccessfully for election to the West Australian State Parliament in 1971 and distributed an election pamphlet bearing the slogan "He Knows How To Care" which describes in an appropriate way his attitude to life.

Subsequently Bill concentrated on local government affairs and served in various capacities on several local councils. The United Nations Assocoation was another of his deep concerns and he obtained funds to establish Lotteries Commission House as a permanent local home for that body. At the time of his death, in his 80th year, Bill remained physically and intellectually active and was researching the history of his old school, Perth Modern.

During his active professional career his work necessitated long periods of absence from home but despite this Bill was a devoted family man. He was an absolutely reliable friend and an enlightened employer.

ROGER TOWNEND
TAG #112, September 1999

Return to the Obituaries page

Richard KEELE

1945 - 2005

It was with great regret that Tasmanian members of the GS heard of the sudden death of their enthusiastic presiding chairman, Richard Keele, on 19th September 2005, while visiting his native England.

Richard was a very keen and able explorer and structural geologist who had a diverse career in exploration, mine geology and academia. An honours degree from the University of Manchester was followed by exploration for redbed copper deposits in County Cork, Ireland using stream sediment geochemistry, and an MSc (Leicester). In 1969 he migrated to Australia, and explored for Pt, Ni and Cu on the
Jimberlana Dyke for the Central Norseman Gold Corporation. From 1971-1986 he worked for WMC as both a mine and exploration geologist at Kambalda, Norseman and Kalgoorlie. In 1985 was awarded a Ph.D. from the University of Leeds for his work on the emplacement and deformation of Archaean gold-bearing quartz veins at Norseman. From 1986-1990 he was a part-time lecturer in structural geology at the Western Australian School of Mines while conducting structural studies in the Kalgoorlie district and developing rapid litho-structural mapping techniques to generate gold targets for Placer Exploration.

In 1990 Richard moved to Tasmania to work with Ron Berry at CODES (University of Tasmania) on an AMIRA project investigating links between structure and mineralisation in western Tasmania. He made major contributions to the new concepts that came from that study, and went on to participate in research on the Macarthur Basin in northern Australia.

In 1993-1994, as a consultant working for Mineral Resources Tasmania (MRT), he analysed the geological structures and mineralised veins in the Devonian Mathinna- Alberton Gold Lineament of northeast Tasmania. This work involved meticulous observations on microscopic and mesoscopic scales and led to improved interpretations of the regional structure and stratigraphy, kinematics of vein formation and controls on the timing and location of gold mineralisation. Typically, it concluded with recommendations for future exploration targeting. His work in northeast Tasmania continued as a consultant for the Beaconsfield Joint Venture, Tasgold and Lefroy Resources. Recently he had been working to integrate stream sediment geochemistry and structure to generate new exploration ideas and plays for the region.

In 2003 Richard was part of the MRT team that constructed a three dimensional geological model of Tasmania. Richard's broad knowledge of the geology, combined with a flair for recognising important regional structures and an ability to synthesise the "big picture" were key elements in the success of the project. The accompanying report, which Richard largely compiled, is a model of succinctness and incisive
synthesis.

These projects were commissioned at times when mineral exploration in Tasmania was in serious decline and both have been resoundingly successful in reinvigorating activity. The value of Richard's contribution to both projects is inestimable.

In recent years his consulting work took him back to WA, where he was a member of the Placer team that discovered the Wallaby deposit, and to Canada (Dome Mine, Timmins, Ontario; Quebec; Nunavut), USA (Nevada), Papua New Guinea and Burkina Faso.

Richard brought the same spirit of enthusiasm and participation to his other interests, which included bushwalking, canoeing and photography. He was also a proficient clarinettist and sang tenor in a local choir.

His passing has resulted in a strong sense of loss and sadness throughout the Tasmanian geological community. His many friends and colleagues in both Tasmania and Western Australia will never forget his qualities of unfailing good humour, enthusiasm, charm, gentlemanliness and willingness to embrace new challenges.

The GSA extends its condolences to his wife Christine and daughters Madeleine, Ainsley and Honor.

GEOFF GREEN, JOHN EVERARD AND RON BERRY, Mineral Resources Tasmania
TAG #137, November 2005

Return to the Obituaries page

Peter R KENLEY

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia
Fellow of the Geological Society of Australia

Born Victoria, 19.10.1927 and educated at Melbourne High School and Melbourne University. Graduated BSc(Geology) in 1949.

Appointed Assistant Lecturer in Geology at Melbourne University 1949-1950. Joined Victorian Geological Survey in mid-1950. Served in various positions including Petroleum Geologist, Deputy Director and Acting Director until retirement in 1986. Worked mainly in regional geological mapping, engineering geology, petroleum geology (at the time of the offshore oil discoveries in Gippsland), groundwater, geological editing and administration.

Supervised mapping of the DARTMOOR and CASTERTON 1:63,360 sheets and, from that, located separate groundwater supplies for the towns of Casterton and Merino in a region where surface water had proved costly and inadequate. Identified and mapped marine Paleocene sediments in the Glenelg region and discovered the first definite freshwater and marine Cretaceous sediments in Victoria.

As consultant to the MMBW (1960) established the source of groundwater which flooded the Brooklyn Trunk Sewer and recommended and supervised the bores which dewatered the flooded pump wells and sewer. This was estimated to have saved the Government $A 0.5M. Supervised monitoring of groundwater pollution and advised on liquid waste disposal in suburban Melbourne. Served on government committees including the Environment Protection Council, departmental committees concerned with extractive industry including chairing the Extractive Industries Strategy Plan Interdepartmental Committee (1986), and participated in a study of geothermal resources in Victoria ( King et al.,1987).

Contributed chapters on the geology of southwestern Victoria and hydrocarbon occurrences in the eastern part of the Otway Basin to The Otway Basin of Southeastern Australia (Spec.Bull.Geol.Survs SA & Vic,1971) and to the Tertiary and Quaternary chapters of The Geology of Victoria (1st and 2nd eds, Vic Div GSA,1976 & 1988). Assisted the late Frank Hughes in editing the Geology of the Mineral Deposits of Australia and Papua New Guinea (AIMM, Melbourne, Vols 1 & 2, 1990). Also contributed to The Engineering Geology of Melbourne (1992, Balkerma,Rotterdam) and the Geological Hazards chapter of Geology of Victoria (Spec. Publ. No2, GSA, 2003).

Founding member of the Vic Div of the GSA, served as a Committee Member from 1974-1976 and President in 1977. Have an enduring interest in geological and geomorphological features and processes. Membership of the GSA and kindred learned societies has been invaluable in keeping up to date with developments in the earth sciences.

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to the Fellows page

Brian KENNETT

Brian Kennett FAA FRS

Brian Kennett is currently Professor of Seismology at the Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University and was Director from September 2006 to January 2010.  He received his Ph.D. in Theoretical Seismology from the University of Cambridge in 1973. He was a Lindemann Fellow at IGPP, University of California, San Diego and then a University Lecturer at the University of Cambridge. He moved to Australia in 1984, and was President of the International Association of Seismology and Physics of the Earths Interior from 1999-2003. 

His research has covered a very wide range of topics in seismology, from reflection seismology to studies of the deep Earth and from theoretical to observational studies.
He also has worked on geodynamic problems particularly associated with subduction and the nature of the lithosphere. He has received recognition through many medals and awards including the Gold Medal in Geophysics from the Royal Astronomical Society, the Gutenberg Medal from the European Geosciences Union, the Murchison Medal from the Geological Society of London, and the Jaeger and Flinders Medals from the Australian Academy of Sciences. He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society (London).

He has given many invited lectures and presentations including Union Plenary Lectures to the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics in 1999 and 2011

John Lyndsey KNIGHT

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Fellow of the Geological Society of Australia

1920 - 2006

John Knight was a well-loved colleague and will be fondly remembered by all who knew him. He had a natural warmth, was even-tempered and dependable, and led by example whenever there was demanding duties to be done. His life was one of commitment to his wife Betty (who died in 2005), his six children, his profession (geology) and the many community interests in which he was involved.

Like the apprentice pirate Frederic in the Pirates of Penzance, John was born on 29 February in a leap year. He was educated at Caulfield South Primary School, Elwood Central and Melbourne High School and, in this formative period, developed a lifetime interest in model railways, steam trains and Gilbert and Sullivan light opera. He studied geology at the University of Melbourne from 1939 to 1941 and graduated Bachelor of Science in 1942. Geological employment was scarce during WW II and in 1943 he was appointed Assistant Surveyor at the Wonthaggi State Coal Mine (at that time a reserved occupation) where he continued until 1947. He fitted in well at Wonthaggi, made many friends, and involved himself in a range of local interests (such as life saving at Cape Patterson) which he kept up for many years.

The Chief Surveyor at the Wonthaggi State Coal Mine, Charles Norris a well-known local identity, became an important influence in shaping John's future career and philosophy. At the State Mine he related well to the miners and enjoyed their respect; he witnessed the conditions under which they worked and lived. These experiences influenced his ability to get on with people from all walks of life and his ongoing involvement with community issues.

In 1946 Dr D.E. Thomas, Chief Government Geologist, was given the task of rebuilding the Victorian Geological Survey (then a branch of the Mines department) after it had languished during the Depression and WW II years. To meet the demands of the recovering economy for fuels and construction materials, geologists were urgently required. J.P.L. Kenny (a former Director) had been the expert on black and brown coal deposits in Victoria. John was ideally suited to fill this role and in 1947 was appointed as Field Geologist. In the late 1940s through to the mid-1960s, exploration for black and brown coal became his main task. He planned an supervised drilling programs in the black coal areas of Wonthaggi, Kilcunda, Korumburra and Jumbunna. Extensive exploration by drilling was also undertaken for brown coal deposits in the Bacchus Marsh, Lal Lal, Gelliondale, Winchelsea, Anglesea and Thorpdale areas. Coal had been predicted at Anglesea by W.A. Esplan and in the late 1950s John supervised a drilling program which proved a new resource of twenty million tons of brown coal. This coal is presently mined by Alcoa for power generation at its aluminium refinery at Point Henry near Geelong.

Post-war demands for construction materials (clay, sand, basalt and limestone) required extensive drilling, particularly in the Scoresby, Campellfield and Craigieburn districts and John was heavily involved in these investigations. Another major role he played from the late 1940s into the 1960s, drawing on his survey training and experience at the State Mine, was to update the underground surveys of the black coal mines at Wonthaggi, Korumburra, Jumbunna, Kilcunda and Outtrim. On these occasions he was usually accompanied by one of the junior geologists because his chief, Dr Thomas (a colourful Welshman) wanted "all his young fellows to be competent surveyors". There are many amusing tales of these times. John enjoyed the role of mentor and his advice and tuition were greatly appreciated.

By the late 1950s and early 1960s most of the black coal mines in the State had been worked out or become uneconomic. In November 1966 the State Mine closed as supplier to the Victorian Railways. John carried out a reappraisal of the remaining resources in 1967, concluding that none of the resources were economic.

He was promoted to Senior Geologist in the early 1950s and became Assistant Director (Executive) of the Geological Survey in 1962. In this position he handled most of the administrative work of the Survey such as Crown Land alienation applications where there was a need to protect known or potential mineral resources. John acted as Director when Dr Thomas was appointed to a United Nations position in Cyprus. He retained an ongoing interest in mineral exploration programs and survey work involving coal and the extractive industries.

In 1978 he was appointed Director of the Geological Survey and continued in that position until his retirement in 1982. during this time he was Chairman of the important Groundwater Advisory Committee and a member of the Extractive Industries Advisory Committee. He published many papers on the State's coal depostis and the history of the Geological Survey and early Survey geologists.

In addition to his buy professional life, John found time for a wide range of other interests. He studied for a Coal Mine Managers Certificate (1950), a Diploma of Public Administration (1958) and was selected to attend a three-month live-in course at the Australian Administrative Staff College at Mount Eliza. For many years he was an active member of the Royal Life Saving Society (Life Member and recipient of the Service Cross of the Commonwealth Grand Council of the Society), the Puffing Billy Preservation Society, the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victorian Division), the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy and the Royal Society of Victoria. He was a Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia (GSA), National Secretary from 1967 to 1968, and Chairman of the Victorian Division in 1968. together with several of his colleagues he was made a Fellow of the Society in 2003. he rarely missed the monthly GSA meetings and attended one only a few weeks prior to his final illness. He usually went on to a later meeting of the Australian Railway Historical Society. For about sixteen years he served as Chairman of the Walhalla Long Tunnel Extended (Mine) Committee of Management. He was also a regular helper at the library of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria and retained a lifetime interest in matters historical.

In retirement John travelled extensively with his beloved Betty, touring most continents on historical steam railways and visiting many museums on the way. In recognition of his long and dedicated service to the Puffing Billy Preservation Society he was awarded the prestigious Gold Pass Award (he was a member of the Executive Committee in 1962 and again in 1979; served for many years as Station Master at Belgrave and, in recent times, Manger of the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek). About 150 relatives and friends joined John "for one last train ride" from Belgrave to Emerald where the service to celebrate his life was punctuated by selections of his favourite Gilbert and Sullivan patter songs.

We will think of him often and miss his wise counsel and gentle humour.

D. Spencer-Jones, P.R. Kenley and J.L. Nielson (with much help from the Knight family and many friends). TAG 142: March 2007.

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to the Obituaries page
Return to the Fellows page

Maren KRYSKO V. TRYST

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

I, Maren Krysko v. Tryst, was born on the 21st of July 1921 at Hameln. After schooling in primary and secondary schools I obtained my matriculation certificate from the Studienanstalt Fuerstin Bismarck Schule in Berlin – Charlottenburg in 1939. I then proceeded to study at the Technische Hochschule Berlin – Charlottenburg. In connection with these studies I worked in the Goslarer Bleifabrik as a Werkstudent until 1944. the approaching end of the war prevented a return to the university, and in 1948 I migrated to Australia.

I worked as a technical assistant with the Department of Mines, South Australia, and later with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Division of Radiophysics, and concurrently pursued part-time studies with advanced standing at the University of New South Wales. In 1962 I obtained the Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of New South Wales in the School of Applied Geology with a major in geology. In 1965 I obtained the post-graduate Diploma in Mineral Technology from the School of Mining Engineering at the same university.

Since 1964 I have been employed by the School of Applied Geology, University of New South Wales, in the official capacity of tutor/demonstrator. My duties involve lecture-demonstration as well as conducting practical classes for first year geology students and for advanced mineralogy and mineragraphy classes. I am also engaged as an instructor for post-graduate students in mineral technology in the School of Mining Engineering. Further I am engaged as a part-time lecturer in the Department of Adult Education of the University of Sydney on whose behalf I conduct courses in Geology at various centres in the Sydney area.

Professional societies: Member of the Geological Society of Australia, Division New South Wales since 1952, council member and treasurer 1963-64. Member of the Royal Society of New South Wales since 1960, council member since 1967, executive member of council since 1968, editor of the society since 1968, assis. Editor 1967. Secretary of the Geological Section of the Royal Society of New South Wales 1965-67.

Member for the Association for Women Graduates, Division New South Wales since 1964. Member of the Australian New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science since 1960 and representative of the Royal Society of New South Wales on the ANZAAS council Meetings in 1968 in New Zealand and 1969 in Australia.

Return to the Foundation Members page

Laurence James LAWRENCE

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

1919 - 2006

Laurie Lawrence, who died on 10 June 2006, was one of the foundation academics in Geology at the University of New South Wales, and a leader in teaching, research and scholarship within the Earth Sciences for more than fifty years.

Laurie was born in Sydney on 23 June, 1919, and grew up in the Five Dock area. After an early career that included a period as a primary school teacher at Newington College, he joined the AIF, and following war service graduated with an Honours degree in Geology from the University of Sydney in 1950. he worked for a short time at the Geological Survey of New South Wales, before accepting one of the first appointments as a Lecturer in Geology at what was then the New South Wales University of Technology.

Laurie was awarded the first PhD degree in geology at the university in 1955, for a thesis on the nature and genesis of the ore deposits of the Mole Tableland in the New England region, with special reference to tin and tungsten mineralisation. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1957, the same year that the University of Technology became the University of New South Wales, and was awarded a Royal Society and Nuffield Foundation Bursary to undertake post-doctoral studies at Cambridge and the Royal School of Mines in 1958. he was promoted to Associate Professor in 1960, and served as head of the Geology Department for six years, up to the appointment of J.J. Frankel as Foundation Professor in 1963. he was also one of the Foundation Members of the Geological Society of Australia.

Laurie was an excellent communicator on the lecture platform, and also organised a series of very popular voluntary student field trips. One of these was an excursion to Tamworth and his New England stamping ground in a chartered DC-3 at the beginning of 1964, and another was to the old silver mining area of Yerranderie in 1966, where he had done the field work for his Honours degree.

A large number of Laurie's students also went on to make their mark in the geological profession. These include Ian Plimer, formerly of the University of Melbourne and now at the University of Adelaide; Peter Bayliss, of the University of Calgary; Brian Gulson, of Macquarie University and CSIRO; Lindsay Gilligan and Ted Tyne, Director and former Director of the Geological Survey of NSW; Graham Carr, Assistant Chief of CSIRO Exploration and Mining, and many other professors, associate professors, exploration managers and senior members of the Australian geoscience community.

Laurie's main area of expertise was in ore deposit mineralogy. Unknown to most, he was colour blind, but he had a remarkable ability of being able to pick subtle shades of grey under the reflected-light microscope. His main contributions to the field were on the Mo-Bi-W deposits of Kinsgate, the tin deposits of Emmaville, the Pb-Zn-Ag deposits of Yerranderie, and the Broken Hill ore deposits. Much of the influence in his work on ore mineralogy came fro Professor Paul Ramdohr of Heidelberg University, who spent two separate periods at UNSW at Laurie's invitation. Laurie's work on metal remobilisation during metamorphism of the Broken Hill orebodies has also stood the substantial test of time.

He published more than 40 scientific papers while at UNSW, mainly on ore minerals from different parts of Australia in journals that included Nature, Economic Geology, American Mineralogist, Neues Jahrbook fur Mineralogie, Mineralogical Magazine, The Journal of the Geological Society of Australia and the Proceedings of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. A notable contribution was editing a monograph on Exploration and Mining Geology for the Eighth Commonwealth Mining and Metallurgical Congress, held in Australia and New Zealand in 1965. In the same year, Laurie and his (then) UNSW colleague Neville Markham described the new mineral species mawsonite, from the Mount Lyell mines in Tasmania and Tingha in New South Wales.

Laurie made a significant mark outside geology as well. He played Sheffield Shield cricket for NSW as a batsman, and grade cricket for both Balmain and the University of New South Wales. Indeed, he was one of the founders of the UNSW (the University of Technology) Cricket Club in 1953. he was awarded a University Blue for cricket in 1955, and became a Life Member of the University's Sports Association in 1959. he was also a very keen life-long follower of the Balmain rugby league club.

Laurie retired from the University of New South Wales in 1979, but continued active involvement with a number of other geological organisations, including work as a consultant for several mining and exploration companies. He also continued to pursue mineralogical research at the University of Western Sydney (UWS), where he was an Honorary Research Fellow. At UWS, Laurie gave his expert knowledge of mineralogy and geology to the postgraduate students, and continued to write scholarly research papers on a range of mineralogical topics.

Laurie joined the Mineralogical Society of New South Wales soon after it was formed in 1975, and ultimately became an Honorary Life Member. He served on the committee of the Society for many years, right up until his death, including the role of President, delivered many lectures at the monthly meetings, and contributed articles to the Society's newsletter. He continued his Society activities to the very end, and was scheduled to participate as one of the speakers (with a talk on "Mineral collections and their display") at the 2006 Joint Mineralogical Societies Seminar held during the very weekend that he passed away.

Throughout his long academic career and up until the time of his death, Laurie progressively built up a substantial personal mineral collection. It is perhaps the finest mineral species collection ever assembled in Australia by a private collector, with many of the species characterised and verified by Laurie himself. The collection was one of Laurie's real passions, and he would devote many hours researching particular species (and their associations) and to its curation. Many of the specimens were personally collected by Laurie during his numerous field trips; others were given to him by students and fellow academics, some were acquired by trading with other collectors and research institutes, and some were purchased. A number of the specimens are featured in Laurie's articles in the Australian Journal of Mineralogy.

Laurie was also the principal author of a history of geology at the University of New South Wales, published by the University in 2003. Along with many research papers, the successful students and his other wide-ranging contributions, this modest, easy to read document provides a fitting testimony to his role as a "people person" within the geoscience profession, and as a science communicator par excellence. He was also a great inspiration to all young collectors, with the keenest of eyes for minerals, a great beaming smile, a depth of knowledge on a number of different disciplines, and a real presence in any room.

Only two weeks after his death, Laurie's wife Ruth also passed away. They are survived by their daughter Jenny and son Richard, and by their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Farewell, Laurie; you will be sorely missed by us all.

Colin Ward, University of NSW and Ian Graham, Australian Museum. TAG 142: March 2007

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to the Obituaries page

Frederick Charles LOUGHMAN

1923 - 2004

Frederick Charles (Fred) Loughman, who passed away on June 19, 2004, was one of the earliest and most highly respected staff members in Geology at the University of New South Wales.

Fred was born in Sydney in April, 1923, and after an initial career in banking and service with the Australian Army in Bougainville, graduated with First Class Honours in Geology from Sydney University in 1950. He had also gained a sound training in chemistry as part of his degree program, and this was to prove invaluable in his later teaching and research activities. A 1954 paper based on his Honours thesis, dealing with the geology of the Stroud-Gloucester Trough, is still used today as a framework for geological studies in the region.

As a student Fred was supported by a cadetship from the NSW Department of Mines, and after graduation joined the staff of the Geological Survey of New South Wales. In 1953 he accepted an appointment as Lecturer in Geology at what was then the New South Wales University of Technology but shortly (in 1956) became the University of New South Wales. Thirty years later, in 1983, he retired from the University as Associate Professor in Applied Geology, with a national and international reputation for a diverse range of research activities in sedimentary petrology, especially rock weathering and clay mineralogy.

Fred's interest in clay minerals begain early in his academic career, and in 1957, shortly after joining the staff at UNSW, he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to work with the well-known clay mineralogist Professor Ralph Grim at the University of Illinois. However, with a baby due he declined the offer (allowing his second daughter to be born in Australia) and pursued a research program at UNSW that led in 1959 to the award of his PhD degree. A monograph based on his thesis, published by the University in 1960, went on to become the standard reference source for people seeking information on the commercial clay deposits of New South Wales.

Fred was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1960, and to Associate Professor in 1967. His administrative skills were also highly regarded, and he was called upon a number of times to take over the role of the Head of the (then) School of Applied Geology. Taking the opportunity to try out a previously considered career in architecture, he was instrumental in designing the facilities to accommodate Geology in the new Applied Science Building, into which the School moved in 1969. He also spent several periods of sabbatical leave in the USA, including a year at the University of Illinois in 1959-60 (finally taking up the Fulbright award), at Universities in Ohio and Oklahoma in 1967-68, and Florida in 1977, strengthening his research at the international level.

During his 30-year career, Fred published two books and over 60 scientific papers. In 1974 he was awarded a DSc degree for his reserach on the composition and properties of sedimentary rocks: the first and, to date, the only DSc in Geology awarded by the University of New South Wales.

Fred was the quintessential scientist, continually asking and seeking to answer those fundamental but important questions: "what is it made of?", "how did it get here?" and "what might it be useful for?" There was always something new that drew his attention, and his boundless enthusiasm, his great thoroughness and his deep insight made working in his laboratory an interesting and pleasurable experience.

His papers cover an alphabet of minerals, from analcite to zebra rock, and include notes on new, unusual and often significant occurences of minerals such as buddingtonite (ammonium feldspar) in Queensland oil shales, cookeite in the Pambula pyrophyllite, dickite in the Hawkesbury Sandstone, and dawsonite in the Greta Coal Measures and other units of the Sydney Basin. His most memorable contributions, however, were a wide-ranging series of papers on kaolinite clayrocks, also known as tonsteins and flint clays, in several different coal-bearing and coal-barren successions throughout eastern New South Wales. Others include a small but remarkably useful book on Chemical Weathering of the Silicate Minerals, published by Elsevier in 1969, and a contribution on kaolin genesis and synthesis in another Elsevier volume, published in 1982.

Even retirement didn't stop him, and he continued with research and publication on clay minerals until he finally called it quits, with his last paper, on Permian palaeoclimates, being published in 1991.

Fred's contribution over those 30 years embodied excellence in the three essential aspects of activity at any good university: teaching, research and scholarship. Many of his students themselves went on to become Professors and Associate Professors, senior members of Geological Surveys, and other well-respected members of the geological profession. When he retired from the University in 1983 the School established the FC Loughnan Prizes, one for First Year Geology and one for Third Year Geology, the award of which still continues to recognise and encourage new generations of students along the geological path.

Fred was one of the leaders in introducing new technologies to Australian geology, and in using them to learn more about the common things, such as clays and other sedimentary minerals, that we all too often take for granted. He was also keenly aware of the need for research on topics related to industrial applications, and his advice was sought for consultancy work on different aspects of applied mineralogy.

Fred is survived by Margaret (Peg), his wife for 52 years, by daughters Kerry and Karen, and by their respective families. We salute his achievements, and thank him sincerely for his contributions to the geological community as a teacher, researcher, advisor and friend.

COLIN R. WARD, University of New South Wales
TAG #132, September 2004

Return to the Obituaries page

John Francis LOVERING

Foundation Member of the Geological Society of Australia

Fellow of the Geological Society of Australia

Born 27 March 1930 Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

John Francis Lovering was Professor of Geology at the University of Melbourne from 1969 to 1987 and Vice-Chancellor of Flinders University (South Australia) from 1987 to 1995. He has been involved in a phenomenal number of scientific and environmental organizations and has held many highly respected positions. His expertise and advice has been widely sort across the world.

Chronology of Career Highlights

1951 Bachelor of Science (BSc) completed at the University of Sydney
1951 - 1955 Assistant Curator of Mineralogy and Petrology at the Australian Museum
1953 Master of Science (MSc) completed at the University of Sydney
1953 - 1955 Postgraduate student and Teaching Associate in the Division of Geological Sciences at the California Institute of Technology, USA
1956 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) completed at the California Institute of Technology
1956 - 1960 Research Fellow in Geophysics and Geochemistry at the Australian National University in Canberra
1960 - 1964 Fellow in Geophysics and Geochemistry at the Australian National University
1963 - 1964 Visiting Professor in the Department of Geology at the University of Rochester, USA
1964 Guest Investigator at the Geophysical Laboratory at the Carnegie Institute of Washington
1964 - 1969 Senior Fellow in Geophysics and Geochemistry at the Australian National University
1969 - 1987 Professor of Geology and Head of the School of Earth Sciences at the University of Melbourne
1971 Master of Science (MSc) completed at the University of Melbourne
1972 Visiting Professor at the Max-Planck-Institut fur Kernphysik in Heidelberg, Germany
1972 - 1973 Senior Research Associate at NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland, USA
1977 - 1978 President of the Royal Society of Victoria
1978 Member of the Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) to Commonwealth Bay and Casey Base in Australian Antarctic Territory and Macquarie Island
1978 - 1980 President of the Geological Society of Australia
1979 - 1985 Member of the Australian National Commission for UNESCO
1982 - Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA)
1983 - 1985 Dean of the Faculty of Science at the University of Melbourne
1984 - 1985 Member of the Australian Ionising Radiation Advisory Council
1985 - 1986 President of the Australian Geoscience Council
1985 - 1986 Member of the Marine Research Allocations Advisory Committee
1985 - 1987 President of the UNESCO International Geological Correlation Programme
1985 - 1987 Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) at the University of Melbourne
1985 - 1989 Chairman of the Antarctic Science Advisory Committee
1987 Emeritus Professor at the University of Melbourne
1987 ANARE expedition to Mawson and Davis Bases, Scullin Monolith, Heard Island
1987 - 1995 Vice-Chancellor and Professor of Geology at Flinders University of South Australia
1990 - 1996 Vice-President of the International Union of Geological Sciences
1992 - 1994 Presiding Officer of the Natural Resources Council of South Australia
1993 - Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (FTSE)
1993 Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)
1994 - 1999 President of the Murray-Darling Basin Commission
1995 - Emeritus Professor at Flinders University of South Australia
1995 Doctor of Science honoris causa (Hon DSc) received from Flinders University of South Australia
1998 - Chairman of the Environment Conservation Council
1998 - Chairman of the Australian National Seismic Imaging Resource
1998 - 1999 Member of the Natural Heritage Trust Advisory Committee
1999 - Professorial Fellow of Earth Sciences at the University of Melbourne
1999 Doctor of Science honoris causa (Hon DSc) received from the University of Melbourne

Return to the Foundation Members page
Return to Fellows page

 

 

 

Home Top
© 2011 Geological Society of Australia Incorporated
Please email any comments, suggestions or problems with the site to info@gsa.org.au or write/ring:
Suite 61, 104 Bathurst Street, Sydney NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA

Tel 02 9290 2194 Fax 02 9290 2198 International Tel +61 2 9290 2194 International Fax +61 2 9290 2198